Monday, August 16, 2004

Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to a year in the life of a first grade teacher! I'm Dree, or Miss M, as my kiddies call me.

I figure, if you're going to be reading about my year in the classroom, you might as well know some things about me. I'm about to start my 5th year of teaching (whoo-hoo!), and I've decided to document this momentous occasion by blogging.

My first job was in a charter school as a special ed teacher. It was a first year school full of brand-new teachers, and it had no real structure or direction. The administration didn't quite know what to do with me, so they gave me a group of 8 kindergarten/first grade kids called a "transition class" (fancy way of saying "children who were driving their classroom teachers crazy") and put me in a "room" (fancy way of saying "part of a hallway with a makeshift door at one end.") Somehow I managed to survive an entire year there.

I left the charter school and took a job teaching first grade in an inner-city Catholic school. I've been there for the past 3 years and I absolutely love it! The school's population is largely Hispanic, which means a good number of my dearies are bilingual. I don't speak a lick of Spanish, but the kiddos have been teaching me a few things. They get a real kick out of hearing me butcher the language. :)

Why blog? Why now? I've always wanted to keep a journal of the things that go on in my classroom, but I've never been motivated enough to maintain one once it was started. Now that I'm going into my 5th year of teaching, I think I've finally mastered the art of multi-tasking. I don't know who's going to read this... or who's going to find it even remotely interesting... but I'm determined to get this thing off the ground.
And so it begins.

No comments: