Thursday, September 23, 2004

An update on J

I talked to my principal about J, and she said I should talk to his mother about putting him back in kindergarten. She said, "If you're going to make the switch, now is the time to do it." So I saw his mother today before school and asked her to meet with me on my break. When she came in, I showed her a work sample, his "green-face" self-portrait, his copybook, and the beginning of the year assessment that I did (it shows how many letters, numbers, sounds and words that he knows). Surprisingly, it didn't take long for her to decide that she wanted to put him in kindergarten. We talked to my principal, got J from music class, and took him to meet Mrs. B, the kindergarten teacher. J was less than thrilled with the whole arrangement, but Mrs. B. said he would most likely adjust by the end of the day. I felt a little guilty just leaving him there, but I know it's for the best. So now I'm down to 24 students.

No comments: