Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Open mouth, insert foot.

I promised myself that this blog would never get political, and for good reason. But I have to share this story, just to get it off my chest.

Today at lunch, all of the teachers were fervently discussing the election and all the hoopla that goes with it. I was doing a crossword puzzle and basically minding my own business, except for making a polite comment or two. Then one of the teachers turned to me and said, "Are you voting, Dree?" I said, "No." Silence. Like in the movies, when two people are talking and the music stops just when one person says something embarrassing. It was like that. Heads swiveled, jaws dropped. WHAT? Not vote? What did she say??? One teacher literally glared at me. I felt uncomfortable for the first time in my 4 years at this school. It was like I walked in and announced that I slaughter puppies in my spare time.

Fine. I'm not voting. Is that such a crime? I know it's my civic duty and all that... but I don't feel strongly enough about either candidate to support them with my vote. Is it better for me to vote for the lesser of two evils, to vote not for someone, but against someone else, just for the sake of voting? I guess some people think so. And I think that I have freedom of choice, and I choose not to vote. I don't care if that makes me unpopular at the lunch table.

No comments: