Thursday, April 14, 2005

the glory of being random

I can't believe it's Thursday already. I also can't believe that's it's mid-April. I feel the need to do a random post, to cover all my bases.

Freaks me the hell out
This damn Burger King commercial scares the bejesus outta me. And then there's the one where the guy pulls up his shade and this creepy-ass king is standing on the other side of the window. What the hell, BK?



Where has she been all year?
My kids were writing a story about the day their teddy bear came to life. Most of them stuck to my suggested story frame - only a few broke out of the mold and wrote other things. One of my girls wrote this elaborate tale about her bear coming to life and locking her out of her room so he could take a nap. The cutest part was the end, after the bear woke up: The bear says, "I'm sorry." And I forgived him. And it was a happy day. It was such a great story. It had plot, dialogue, conflict, resolution... I was so impressed.

Now lemme get this straight...
One of my boys is a complete pop-culture guru. I always catch him singing some obscure song - like Culture Club's "Do You Really Wanna Hurt Me?" - and then I find out he knows it from a movie or a commercial. This week it was Harry Nilsson's "Coconut," from a Coca-Cola commercial. I happened to have it on CD (from a mix I made for a luau I had a few years ago). If you were my principal, walking past my room this morning, you'd have seen my kids, working beautifully on a math project, singing in perfect unison:
"You put the lime in the coconut and drank 'em both up,
You put the lime in the coconut, called the doctor woke him up and said,
Doctor, is there nothing I can take? I said DOCTOR, to relieve this bellyache..."
It was pretty damn funny. And this afternoon while they were journaling, I put on my Muppet's Greatest Hits CD. Imagine my surprise when my entire class knew the song "Mahna Mahna" (doo doooo doo doo do)... turns out that's also in a commercial. Go figure.

Calling all geeks
I just downloaded a new ringtone for my phone: The Jeopardy theme song. Now all I need to do is change my voice mail message to say, "Hello, you're reached the High Geekess. Leave your name and number and I'll call you back... after I finish polishing my paper clip collection."

Tomorrow's Friday. Happy weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

Pigs said...

Hee heeeeee! I would have loved to see your class singing that. You? I could teach beside.

Sara said...

Okay, first, I am creeped out by The King. It scares me. Now, the QuakerOats man is getting into the act.

Also, I used to sing "Manmana" with my friend Rhiannon. We loved that song when we were young.

And the fact that it is mid-April freaks me out. In three months I will be living in Philadelphia far from my midwest roots. I am nervous and incredibly unemployed. First time in years.