Thursday, September 09, 2004

Second Day Reflections

Teaching, Year Five:
The Things I'm Still Not Good at Doing

1. Prying a sobbing child off of his mother whilst simultaneously trying to urge said mother out of his sight, saying, "He'll be fine once you're gone."

2. Watching "my" babies grow up. The first class I taught at this school is now in 4th grade. The new 2nd graders are taller, wiser and more independent. Sigh.

3. Remembering that my new first graders need to be "trained." They don't respond to my cues, prompts and management techniques yet. (Example: When I need their attention, I say, "One, two, three! Eyes on me!" and they should respond, "One, two! Eyes on you!" It's all very drill-sergeant-esque.)

4. Getting myself back on "school time" -- waking up at 5:30 AM when it's still dark out, eating on a different schedule, going to bed before 11 PM.

5. Talking to children after spending most of my summer conversing with adults. I have to remember to use small words, at least for a few weeks.

No comments: