Thursday, January 20, 2005

First grade is SNOW much fun!

Tee hee... I crack myself up.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of learning centers - which is essentially groups of kids working independently in different "centers" around the room. This happens daily in my classroom for 30 minutes at the end of the day, and let me tell you, it is the highlight of their day. They love center time. I split my class into 5 groups of kids who go to a different center each day. I try to use seasonal activities to make it fun. They don't even think of it as learning. Here are some pics and descriptions, so you can get an idea of how this works.

This week's Spelling Center is called "snow writing." (Shaving cream!)


Enjoying a story in the Reading Center with a "book buddy."


Sequencing the lines of our monthly poem in Poem Center.

Using the laptops in Computer Center. (By the way, the website they're using is called Starfall. I highly recommend it for K-2 kids!)


This bulletin board is part of our Read the Room Center. The kids get to walk around the room with pointers and read any print in the classroom (walls, desks, posters, etc). No kids in this pic, because I wanted you to see my snowman board. All the parts of the snowman are labeled: "I have an orange carrot nose," "My arms are brown sticks," and so on.


Now c'mon... don't you wanna be in first grade again? :-)

No comments: