Saturday, February 05, 2005

"thy kingdom come, thy trophy won..."

Another Eagles-related gripe. (Just this last one, I swear.) I went to church tonight, and the first thing I noticed is that it was PACKED. Like Easter Sunday packed. I thought, this cannot be because of the Superbowl. Can it? (It was.) The next thing I noticed is how many people were wearing Eagles shirts and jerseys. Now, I don't get all dressed up for church - jeans and a nice top are fine with me - but I have to draw the line at sweats and jerseys.

And then... then they went too far. The priest announced that after the closing hymn, there would be a special hymn for the Eagles. Someone wrote new lyrics to the song "On Eagles Wings." Since staying for the Eagles tribute was optional, my family and I headed out before the singing started. Seriously, is nothing sacred anymore? Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be all holier-than-thou, and I am happy that the Eagles are representing our city in the Superbowl... but enough already.

In other news, I just sat down at my laptop to work on a paper for my grad class. When I looked at the syllabus, I found out that it isn't due this week - it's due next week. Whoo-hoo! A whole extra week to put off doing my paper!

No comments: