Saturday, April 30, 2005

Make it a Blockbuster night

What a crappy day. I woke up at 7:30 (way too early on a Saturday morning, in my opinion) to a car alarm going off, my brother coming home from wherever it was he went last night, and the rain beating against my window. Screw this, I thought, and promptly went back to sleep. Woke up again at 9:30 with a sinus headache. Blech.

It was the kind of day that you don't feel like doing anything except sitting around in pajamas, reading the paper. I took a Claritin, kicked the headache and cleaned out my closet. (Hey, it needed to be done.)

Tonight our school had a Family Unity Mass (the 3rd and final one for this year) followed by the Academic Fair. The Mass is one of our attempts to bridge the home-school gap. It's one of our goals to get the parents more involved in our school community. For the Academic Fair, we set up tables in the school hall for each subject (math, science, language arts, etc). The teachers display students' projects on each table. The parents are invited to the school hall after mass to have snacks and see all the work their kids have done. The teachers stayed after school on Friday to set everything up.

I sent home a reminder in my monthly classroom newsletter. I sent another reminder in last week's homework sheet. It was on the school calendar. The office sent an invitation home in our weekly communication envelope. I let my kids help me pick out projects for our class, and I talked it up every day for a week. NOT A SINGLE ONE OF MY STUDENTS SHOWED UP. Not one. There were other students there (not many), but not one of my twenty-four kids came. That just depressed the hell outta me. I collected their work, made labels for everything that our grade had on display, stayed late on a Friday to help set up, got there early tonight to help put out the snacks... and they didn't bother to come. It felt like such a waste.

It was raining when I left school, so I swung by Blockbuster. I spent my night curled up with the dog, watching movies. A very good end to a not so good day. Oh well. There's always Sunday.

No comments: