Tuesday, July 19, 2005

music appreciation

My new idea of hell: listening to 20 kids learn "Merrily We Roll Along" on the recorder. While keeping a straight face. And not banging my head against the wall.

We have a music teacher who comes to camp once a week to teach both recorder and some sing-along songs. The kids love her, of course. What kid wouldn't love someone who encourages them to make as much noise as humanly possible?

Today she sent their recorders home, telling them to take good care of them. "See this?" she said, holding up a recorder. "This is mine from when I was in second grade, and that was a long time ago. I took care of it, and I can still play it today."

Several hands shot up. "Miss? How old are you?"

"No," I admonished them. "It's impolite to ask an adult how old they are."

All hands went back down, except for one fourth grade boy. "Well, is it impolite to ask how young she is?" he asked.

Sometimes these kids are just too clever.

1 comment:

SuzanH said...

What a smarty.

And maybe earplugs?