Monday, March 02, 2009

In the absence of children.

Since I have a snow day, I figured it would be a good time to catch up on posting. And luckily, I have something to write about! Every time my kids say something funny, I jot it down on scrap paper and shove it in my teacher bag... where, of course, it gets lost until I clean the bag out. Which is what I did last night. I found several little pieces of paper with stories and quotes scribbled on them. Sigh.

I figured I should actually post them on here to remind myself that my kids ARE pretty damn cute... even the ones who drive me nuts.

So here is today's installment, both from the same girl. She's extremely cute and very bright. She's also one of the few blondes I've taught at this school (our population is mostly Hispanic, so I get a lot of brown and black haired kiddos). Her combination of cuteness and friendliness makes her quite popular with the other kids. Her mom once told me that she "plays" me at home... lines her stuffed animals up and teaches them. I bet that's cute to see.

One day, one of my kids did something that struck me as funny, so I laughed. Blondie smiled and said, "You always laugh. I like when you laugh. It makes me laugh." Which of course made me laugh again :)

Later that day, I overheard her correcting a boy who had used the word "ain't" in conversation.

"Ain't isn't a word!", she chastised.

"Yes it is," her friend insisted.

She shook her head. "No, it's not... my mom teached me."

I didn't have the heart to tell her that "teached" is just as bad as "ain't." Another lesson for another time, lol.

No comments: