Sunday, March 22, 2009

A month of no Mondays.

From a teaching standpoint, I'm not a fan of four day weeks. Sure, I love having a day to sleep in and get my errands done. But I absolutely HATE starting the week on a Tuesday. I feel like I spend my whole week falling farther and farther behind, trying to play catch-up on my breaks. Nothing gets done.

This month has been full of weeks like that. The kids have had off 3 out of 5 Mondays this month: a snow day, report card conferences, and tomorrow is our faculty retreat day. The retreat day is required by the Archdiocese. It's supposed to be a day of rest, rejuvenation, reflection and reconnection. (I went with an "r" theme...) Some years I think it's a waste of time, other years I think it helps to refocus me (another "r"!) for the second half of the school year.

I don't know what to expect from this year's retreat. I think there's going to be a guest speaker of some sort and probably a prayer service. One good thing about this year is that we're not having the retreat at the school. There's something refreshing about being away from the school. Anytime I go to a workshop or seminar that's not held on school ground, I feel like I have a renewed energy about my job. (It doesn't always last, lol.)

I'm trying to go into tomorrow's retreat with a good attitude. Maybe I'll get something out of it this year. We'll see.

No comments: