Friday, April 03, 2009

Two and a half days left...

... and then it's Easter break! A gloriously long "weekend," with no work from 12 PM next Wednesday until the Tuesday after Easter. That's five and a half days. I plan to enjoy every minute of my free time.

I've reached the point in the school year when I've had enough of the nonsense. This past week, I've found myself repeating rules that were laid down in September. Kids are coming to school without their folder or their take-home book... they're turning in incomplete homework assignments... they're full of ridiculously petty behavior that has "Spring Fever" written all over it. Oy. I had to pull out my "mean teacher" voice a LOT this week. Along with my disappointed face. (If I get early wrinkles, I know who to blame...)

On the plus side, my ADHD boy has been on meds since mid-March, and the change is unreal. He can sit at his desk without tapping his pencil or falling out of his chair. He finishes his work, and it's done neatly! His printing has gone from smudged scribbles to age-appropriate letters. His grades are already improving. He had failed spelling in the first and second marking period, but on the last two spelling tests, he's only gotten one word wrong. Amazing. I'm certainly not a firm believer in medicating difficult kids, but this proves that he just needed something to help him focus. And he feels so much better about himself. It's been wonderful to watch the transformation.

I can't believe it's April already. This year is flying...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a student in my class who could use some medication too! haha! i too am not a believer in medicating difficult kids...but when you know a kid who needs it for real and then they finally get on it...it works! :)

Stephen C said...

When I first started teaching, they warned me how tired I would be. They said you make it to Thanksgiving, then Christmas, get recharged. Then Spring Break, and voila! Done! Have a good Easter break! Enjoyed the blog.

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....