Thursday, September 30, 2004

CCD

Ugh. Not feeling well today. I don't know if I'm coming down with something or if it's the change in the weather or what.

But anyway.

Today was the first day of CCD. For the life of me, I have no idea what CCD stands for. It's religious education for public school students. Our parish offers 4 different classes to prepare children to receive their sacraments. I've volunteered to teach CCD for the past 2 years, and I really enjoy it. The DRE (Director of Religious Education) has let me loop up with the first class that I taught, so I have the same group of kids that I've had for the past two years... plus some new ones. Last year, my class received the Sacrament of Reconciliation and received their First Holy Communion (even if you're not Catholic you can tell these are important by the Use of Capital Letters). This year I'm preparing them to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation (which will happen next year).

The upside of looping is that I know most of the kids from previous years. The downside is that I'm teaching 4th-8th graders. I am totally out of my comfort zone. Mad props to middle school and high school teachers. I don't know how you do it.

CCD class is an hour after school on Thursday afternoons. After that, I drove Miss W home (our new 2nd grade teacher, also teaching CCD), stopped at SuperFresh to get apples for tomorrow's taste test (I'm doing a unit on apples and Johnny Appleseed), and got home around 6 PM. It's been a long day.

No comments: