Friday, November 19, 2004

grades are a pain in my ass...

No exciting news from first grade this week, aside from the theft. I'm struggling to get projects finished and tests made-up and grades collected. I'm so bad at staying on top of my grades. It's my biggest weakness by far. The 1st trimester ends on December 3rd, so I don't have much time left to give tests. I need to get my ass in gear. Two years ago, all the Philadelphia Catholic schools had to start using different types of assessments to get grades. That means I have to use more than just tests. We need to have assessments in 5 different areas. For example, in religion, I'll give an oral grade (memorizing a prayer), a hands-on grade (some sort of cut & paste activity that goes with what we're learning), a written grade (their religion copybook), a test grade, and a group grade (group project). I normally have 2 for each area, except tests - I like to give at least 3 tests. Then I average all the grades together to get their trimester grade. I need to do that for 4 different subjects (religion, math, reading and writing). If you're not a teacher, that probably made no sense... Sorry.

But anyway, my problem is that I'm horrible at remembering to plan group projects, I never collect copybooks for grades until the last possible week, and it's just damn hard to find the time to call each of my 24 students to my desk individually for oral grades. I really don't have any excuse, though. This is the 3rd year that we've done this. I should know better by now.

Two and a half more days of work before Thanksgiving break. WHOO-HOO!

No comments: