Saturday, January 01, 2005

New Year's Eve

As you know, I was supposed to be in New York tonight, but I wasn't feeling well yesterday. I opted instead for staying home with my parents to ring in the new year.

Tonight as I was finishing dinner, one of my friends called, totally out of the blue. (Well, he's actually a friend of my friend's husband; we sort of became friends about a year ago - it's complicated.) He said he was having a party and asked if I had plans. I was feeling better today, so I said I'd go. I got to his apartment, and quickly discovered that it wasn't so much a party as it was 5 people (myself included) sitting around the living room watching "South Park." Which is fine, in and of itself, but when he said "party," I thought people, socializing, drinking, music. You know - party. And to top it off, the other 4 people consisted of 2 couples. So there was a whole 5th wheel thing going on there. I was so not in the mood for that. When my allergies kicked in from his cats, I decided to call it an early night. I made it home by 11:30, and I did indeed ring in the new year with my parents. Go figure.

So my New Year's Eve kinda sucked. Maybe it was my fault for having expectations. I dunno. Was it rude of me to leave his place before midnight? Was I just being a bitch? And then I feel guilty about even going to his party in the first place, since I bailed on the New York party (even though his party was a last minute thing, and I really was sick on Thursday, when I was supposed to leave for NY). Ack. Bad way to start the new year.

No comments: