I went to Wal-Mart tonight and made a shocking discovery - they had no Peeps. None. No chicks, no bunnies, no eggs. Not a single Peep to be found. Not even an empty box or a label on a shelf to indicate that Peeps had once inhabited the area.
No Peeps? Unfathomable.
Now I'm not much of a candy person (I'm more of a salty-crunchy snacker), but I believe that an Easter basket is pointless without two things: Cadbury Creme Eggs and Marshmallow Peeps. You might say I'm a Peep connoisseur.
To that end, I went a-searching on the internet (source of all things bizarre) to see if there was anyone else out there who shared my Peep obsession. As you might imagine, I was not disappointed.
So now I will pass along some links to all things Peep. Enjoy!
1. The official Peeps website (complete with fan club)
2. Peep science experiments (these people have way too much free time)
3. Rock 'n' roll Peeps (self-explanatory)
4. Peeps visit the library (one of my favorites)
5. Peep art (on the first two pages, you have to scroll down to the bottom to enter... then click on the gallery link to see the art)
There you have it. They're not just candy. They're an obsession, a tradition, an art form.
Long live the Peeps!