Friday, February 24, 2006

two updates

Earlier today, I was really motivated to write. But hey, it’s Friday and I’m exhausted. So you’ll have to make do with some updates on two students that I’ve written about over the past few weeks.

Joe Cool
On Tuesday, Joe came to school with no pencil case (and therefore, no pencils or crayons), no word ring, no glasses (“They’re still broken,” says he), and no folder. A few years ago, I had designed a form letter that has a checklist of materials that should be in school every day. I checked off items that Joe was missing and put the note in the communication envelope that goes home every Tuesday (used school-wide for office letters, lunch envelopes, parent notes, etc). Wednesday he came to school with no pencil case, no pencils, no crayons, no word ring, no glasses, no folder AND no communication envelope. Thursday: no pencil case, no crayons, 2 broken pencils, no word ring, no folder, no communication envelope. “Okay then,” I said, “I need your homework copybook.” He dug through his desk. No copybook. “Check your schoolbag,” I suggested. No copybook. I didn’t get a chance to call his mom, because I didn’t have a break (music teacher was sick) and I had to leave right after work to go to class. Today he was absent. On the plus side, I received the testing referral paperwork yesterday, which means that he’ll be tested sooner than I thought.

Motor Boy and Blue
Imaginary friend Blue hasn’t made any more appearances in my room this week, except for a brief visit in which he co-authored a book with Motor Boy entitled “The Man Who Climbed a Mountain.” It was 4 pages long, and quite a riveting read (Page one: “The man.” Page two: “The man climbed the mountain.” And so on.) I’m keeping my eyes and ears open for any unusual behavior from Motor Boy, but so far it’s business as usual with him.

4 comments:

EHT said...

I think I have a picture of what Motor Boy will look like by middle school (could be Joe Cool as well) on my current post. Reading about your little ones gives me some insight that what I see is not necessarily the onset of hormonal activity.

Janet said...

This reminds me of the post I'm working on for tomorrow (hint, hint). Not only is it frustrating this kid isn't returning with these things to school, it's EXTRA frustrating bc you are communicating what he needs to his parents. Where is good parenting when you need it?!

Anonymous said...

I've been a teacher for over 20 years. You will always have students like this...what is troubling is your tone. It is so cruel. You will never be able to change that boy but you can help him by being kinder. Just furnish him a pencil, some cheap crayons, and a cheap folder. Hope this helps.

Dree said...

Not that I need to defend myself here... but I do keep extra supplies on hand for students who lose, break or misplace them. I've given Joe crayons, folders and pencils several times throughout the year.

I didn't see how my tone was at all "cruel" in this post. Frustrated, yes. Concerned, yes. But cruel? I don't see it. But hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.