Friday, September 28, 2007

Dree and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day

(With apologies to Judith Viorst)

When I woke up this morning, my allergies were making my nose run and my eyes water.

It was humid outside again and the only work pants I had clean were long pants.

I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

That's what it was, because when I was walking to my car with my breakfast in my hand, my peanut butter waffle fell peanut butter side down.

As soon as I started my car, my gas light went on.

I knew it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

We had a fire drill in the rain. Then we had a second fire drill later because the first one was so bad.

My students were wild things.

I had yard duty, and I HATE yard duty.

When I got home from work, I had a letter saying that the red light camera caught me and I owe $100.

It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

Some days are like that.

... But, in all honestly, it wasn't so bad. After work we had a faculty wine and cheese party to celebrate a successful first month of school. I can't believe it's going to be October already! And I already have pretty much every weekend booked. I love fall and fall parties and fall activities! Yay fall!

And... for those of you who haven't heard, I'm moving out. Finally. My goal in life was to be out of my parents' house before I was 30... and by some miracle, it actually happened! A friend and I started going apartment hunting a few weeks ago and after much newspaper searching, many phone calls, and a few frightening visits, we found a really nice twin duplex about ten minutes from both of our parents' houses. It's got a lot of space (but not a lot of closet space...), it's in a quiet neighborhood, and the price is decent.

Tomorrow is moving day... yay! We both have plenty of furniture for our own bedrooms, and our moms have supplied us with plenty of things for the kitchen. But the living room will be quite bare. I'm bringing my brother's futon for a sofa, and we're borrowing my parents' card table and folding chairs for the dining room, until we get a real table. But as of tomorrow... it's home! Let the adventure begin.

No comments: